I have sat down to blog for three days now and been stumped. You know in cartoons when a bunch of people try to fit through a doorway, but they all get stuck because they try to go through at the same time? Well, that’s been my brain lately. There is just so much stuff going on that when I sit down to try and let some of it out, it all gets bottled up and nothing comes. So today, I thought I’d just let it all out a little at a time, very slowly.
1. My 10-year high school reunion is this weekend. We’re heading up to our hometown of Gulf Breeze, Florida to drop the kids with my mother-in-law. She’s going to keep them all weekend while Chris and I stay out on the beach at a condo for a little getaway. The events of the reunion will be out there, plus there’s the beach. So the kids will get a mini-vacay with their Grandmomma (who spoils them rotten!) and Chris and I will get a mini-vacay by the beach with friends. I am so excited!
2. The only thing keeping me from enjoying this weekend 100% is that this also happens to be the only free weekend we’ve had in a few months to work on the new house. Next week we are painting through Wednesday, then the new carpet goes in on Thursday and Friday. And we’re moving on Saturday and Sunday. Oh, and I start work again on Monday. It’s a busy, busy time and not the best planning to be out of town. But, somehow we’ll make it work.
3. Speaking of paint. We are trying to get the house painted on the inside before the carpet goes in, but it doesn’t look like that is going to happen. Picking paint has been a bit of a nightmare. For one thing, we just haven’t had any time. And when we do have time, we have the kids with us, so we’re rushing before they get bored and fussy. Finally, Chris and I decided last night that it is better not to rush and to pick the exact colors we want and just paint carefully after the carpet is in, rather than hastily choosing paint we’re going to be stuck with. Yesterday though, we did spend some time at the new house painting ceilings (so not fun…) and looking at paint samples we’d painted on the walls. I think we might have found our bedroom colors. We’re using that sand color in our bedroom with white trim and that steel bluish color in our bathroom with white trim. We found bathroom tile that uses both of those colors and we’re thinking about putting that in the bathroom to bring both the colors in.
4. I usually love having my kids around no matter what we’re doing. But having them around while painting and moving into a new house is sort of a pain. Most of the time, we only get to work on the new house in the evenings after Chris works, so that means we load up a bunch of stuff to keep the kids entertained at the new house, get to the new house, and only have about half an hour where everyone is happy. Usually then, someone starts to lose it and I spend the rest of the time there taking care of the kids (who are whiny and cranky because it’s bedtime) while Chris has to work on the house by himself. Nobody is happy and it becomes a rushed, hectic event. Not fun at all.
5. I have been out of work for almost five months. If you remember, it was about this time when we first moved down to Florida and I was staying home that I started to go stir crazy. Well, it’s happening again. I love my children and I wouldn’t trade one minute of the time I’ve had home with them, but I am not made to stay at home. I just don’t enjoy it at all, so I get snippy and irritable. That makes everyone else snippy and irritable, too. It’s just a mess around here now. There’s so much going on, and yet we can’t do a lot of it yet. So, I am with the kids all day feeling like nothing is getting done. I’m counting the days until we’re in our new house, I’m working again, and the kids are back in daycare. Which, coincidentally, all happens on the same day!
6. I have a pimple. I haven’t had a pimple in 100 years and now, the week of my reunion, I have a pimple. It really does feel like high school all over again.
7. I have so many appointments that I was supposed to make over the summer and now it’s almost the week before school starts and I am trying to frantically get in to the hair salon, the doctor’s office, and the pediatrician. Way to go, Katie.
8. I am now an official consultant for 31 Gifts. YAY! That means a few things for you guys: a) You can buy 31 Gift bags and accessories through me directly (I’ll have a website for that soon). b) There will be some awesome reviews as I try new products and want to share them with you. Kind of like how I shared about my diaper bag. c) There will be some SUPER FUN 31 Gift giveaways coming soon!
There. I think that’s everything. I feel better already. Thanks, guys!