What I am about to say is going to show an ugly side of myself. Just want to give you that fair warning.
Sometimes, I look around at my life and I think, “This is it? This is all there is?”
I know! It’s awful, isn’t it? It doesn’t happen often, but every now and then I will hit a spell where that question forms in my mind for a couple days… and festers. “This is it?”
I love my life, but occasionally, I get a case of the covetsies. You know that part of the B-I-B-L-E where it says you shouldn’t covet they neighbor’s wife? Well, I don’t think that verse is limited to coveting wives. I think it extends to, you know, like, everything. You shouldn’t be pining away for things someone else has. You should be happy with what you have instead. And I am. About 98% of the time. But then the other 2% of the time, I have the covetsies. I see what others have – a nicer home, a higher paying job, bigger vacations, someone to clean their house, quieter dogs, a better garden, nicer clothes… – and I covet.
I think I’ve shared before that one of the best sermons I’ve ever heard was about how we shouldn’t want what others have because their gifts and blessings were meant for their lives, not ours. So if I coveted someone else’s home and actually got it somehow, it still wouldn’t fulfill me because that home wasn’t meant for me. It was meant for someone else. I love that idea, and I try to remind myself of that when the covetsies show up.
The best cure for the covetsies, though, is not in any prolific sermon or Bible verse or abstract ideology. You can’t stitch the best cure for the covetsies onto a pillow. Because here is my best cure:
These people are my cure. When I am tempted to look around and ask, “This is it?” The only answer to that questions is yes. Yes, THIS IS IT.
This is what it is all about.
THIS IS IT.
It’s laundry and dishes and fevers and temper tantrums and meal planning and baking cookies and teaching and swimming and singing and dancing and arriving 10 minutes late to church and forgetting the dog food and kisses in the hallway and skinned knees and date nights and neighborhood walks and rainy days and Disney World and movies on mommy’s bed and snack time and lemonade and Chuck E. Cheese and bad hair days and getting too fat for all my clothes and clipping coupons and fighting and making up and mowing the grass and wiping runny noses and holding hands and potty training and bedtime stories and FaceTime with family and vacations and working late and friendships and phone calls and emails and play dates and saying our prayers.
This is it.
It is tempting to look around at what other have, to covet, to ask, “This is it? This is all there is?” But if I honestly ask myself that question, my answer will always, always be yes.
Yes, this is it. This is all there ever needs to be.