It has been a gloomy couple days down here in central Florida. Hot, muggy weather that makes you want to pout and take a shower. When I’m having a blah week like this, I have a couple sure-fire pick me ups that I go to. These can be good to cure a case of the rainy weather glooms, or on days when you’re feeling out of sorts, or when you get in a fight with your best friend or your husband, or when you’ve waited all day long to come home to your favorite sweatpants and you discover that you left them two days ago in your washing machine and now they are all moldy and stinky. You know, on days like those.
Here are my tried and true (and cheap) rays of sunshine:
1. A big glass of chocolate milk. The good kind with the Hershey’s syrup.
2. A polish change on my toes. Only about $7 or $8 and you still get to sit in those big comfy chairs for a while! I love these because they are cheap, quick and instantly make you feel more put together.
3. A new pack of stationary cards from Target.
4. A 99 cent sweet tea from McDonald’s (or unsweet if you’re a blasphemer like me…).
5. A quick walk or run around your neighborhood.
6. Leaving the kids with your husband, locking yourself in your bedroom and reading a chapter of a book uninterrupted.
7. Sitting in one of the comfy chairs in Barnes and Noble and reading a book or magazine.
8. Getting a drink at Starbucks inside Target before I start grocery shopping.
9. Putting fresh sheets on the bed, taking a long, really hot shower, putting on my favorite jammies, and then getting into bed with a good book.
10. Going to the library. (One of my favorites!)
11. Buying a full-sized, real candy bar all for myself.
12. Buying a new lip gloss, chapstick or pack of gum.
13. Sitting in an empty sanctuary.
14. Coloring. Like, with crayons.
15. Window shopping at the mall at Christmastime.
16. Taking off your shoes and putting on socks for the first time all day.
17. A good, old fashioned bubble bath.
18. Sending digital pictures to the one-hour print shop at Walgreens.
19. Painting your nails.
20. Sing at the top of my lungs in the car to Taylor Swift.
21. Baking cookies, then eating them right off the baking sheet.
22. Getting a new pillow.
23. Playing on Pinterest.
24. Organizing something.
25. Stopping by a RedBox on the way home and getting a movie.
What about you? What do you do that instantly cheers you up when you’re having one of those days?